It's been a few days since the blessed event. However I couldn't write sooner; I just didn't have it in me. It was almost like I needed to process what I have done in order to be able to write about it; however I am writing about it now.
I showed up at the CFRC, early as usual. I signed in with enthusiasm and spent a few moments chatting with the recruiters, all who seem to be friendly when I talk to them, but when the other new recruits came in, the friendliness minimized.
So I sat there for 30 minutes, randomly chatting with a few of the people I know at the recruiting center; which caused some strange looks with the other new recruits. Anyway, during those 30 minutes I also kept one eye trained on the door for the signs of another girl swearing in that day. After all, it wasn't like this was just Calgary swearing in... this was all of southern Alberta.
As the time to start the paperwork came, I realized, that I, was indeed, the only girl swearing in that day. So I made a joke about it to the guy next to me and did what I always do in these situations. I made friends with the boys.
Anyway we completed our paperwork and then got a 30 minute break to get coffee or whatever and wait for our families to show up. I spent most of mine helping a few of the guys understand when they were leaving and that the little piece of paper that looked like an itinerary was actually their plane ticket and that 0_00 actually meant _ in the morning.
Then my relief came, as I spotted 2 caned, limping people walking towards the CFRC...I knew right away that it was Mom and Grandpa. my relief hit me finally that they were there and I could go through with this. All of the families and recruits headed downstairs to complete the ceremony, I had never seen a man with a cane who had just had knee replacement surgery move so fast. Grandpa...was proud. (he claimed that he needed to keep in front of the young guns that thought they were soldiers; but he was proud).
We all completed the ceremony without a hitch took some pictures and got our last words of advice. and then it was over. I was now in fact, a member of the Canadian Forces...thinking this should have felt like a milestone moment, and then realizing that I felt the same as I always did, although a little relieved that I had a job again... I suggested scotch at Grandpa's to celebrate.
It's not official until its sealed with a scotch at grandpa's
And now here we are. waiting to leave, saying goodbye to everyone knowing that some I wont see again. some I will miss greatly and some, well some I will cry to in the weeks to come. Slowly I am detaching myself from the people I love, to make it easier to say goodbye.
13 days...and I am unsure about everything
- Stiletto
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment